All posts for the month June, 2015

I find it a lot easier coding than going through the process of publishing a game to a web site.  I chose to push my game (Slitherin Twist) to two locations for right now. and  When I get feedback, I will make any necessary adjustments to bugs/game play as needed.

I think next time, I will create a check list of all tasks to be done and prior to releasing the game.  I found myself making multiple Icons sizes and Package images as each site has different size requirements.  If I compile a list of all sizes, I can make those image ahead of time and not while I am filling out required forms on the various sites.

For instance the image below is a specific size (315 x 250 pixels) for browsing image on  When filling out forms, I had to go create the image from other assets to get the game ready.  It didn’t take long but having to make several images on the fly ends up taking more time than if I went ahead and created the media files before I started.



Tasks to compile ahead of time next time:

  • Home Site Press Kit
  • Home Site Store Update (Through Humble Bundle)
  • Game Play AVI
  • Game Icons Various Sizes
  • Game Store Images
  • Game Play GIF (Under 2MB)
  • Price Point
  • Text for game description
  • Feature Set description
  • Twitter Message
  • Facebook Message

This is my preliminary list of things to compile ahead of time.  I will share an update of specifics once I get all the sizes and variations required.  This list has carried over in to day 2 of releasing my game and I still have to complete some of it.

Using Gamemaker:Studio, I spent several hours this week working on my full screen shader affect for my latest game.  When I developed it, I had a problem with the way it displayed when I tested my game outside of windowed mode.  Once in full screen, the effect contained the entire screen , but shrunk in the corner with an overlay of the existing screen.  This definitely was not the desirable effect.

After reading up about drawing surfaces, I realized the problem was that my room has a smaller area (1280X704)  than the actual display dimensions (1600*900).  So the fix is to stretch the screen size to the display size.

Original Call –

if full_screen_effect draw_surface(application_surface,0,0);



Fixed Call-

if full_screen_effect draw_surface_stretched(application_surface,0,0,var_resolution_x,var_resolution_y);




Well, I have finally gotten through some of the paper work to be able to sell games to other people.  It took a lot longer than I expected.

I just wanted to make sure I had my business name reserved as I had put quite a bit of effort in getting it to look the way I wanted.  At least now I can promote my work without concern of the name.